As per Wikipedia: Procrastination is the practice of carrying out less urgent tasks in preference to more urgent ones, or doing more pleasurable things in place of less pleasurable ones, and thus putting off impending tasks to a later time, sometimes to the "last minute" before a deadline.
Let's face it. Most people procrastinate, this comes to us naturally.
So what we are targeting for is to complete the top urgent items on time/ in preference over the the lesser urgent items/ pleasure items as per priority.
How to STOP Procrastinating?
- Take a print out of prioritized items on your list in the order of urgency.
- Add a deadline to the items. Stick this printout on each wall of your house, including the washroom. Add it on your desktop wall paper, smartphone background etc. This way you will see them in front of your eyes and your subconscious mind will remind you of the deadline.
- Get into a deal with your partner/ spouse/ brother/ sister/ friend that with each deadline missed you will pay them one day of your salary for each day lost.
- Continue to do this unless you get into this "habit" and stop procrastinating naturally.
- Stop context switching: Don't move frequently from meetings to emails, to social media to coffee breaks, do one task at a time.
- Get rid of unplanned daily rut:
Just following daily routine without any planning leads to immense waste of time. This will keep you busy for most of your daytime but you will not be productive at all. Get out of it => Plan your year, month, week, day.
- Avoid Wasting time on activities which don't add value:
- Gossiping about people is a classic way to waste time.
- Watching the same movies/ videos over again and again multiple times is an example of wasting time because you stop "thinking" of what you are doing. You just do it because you are addicted to it.
You may also like to read : How Much Money Can One Save in USA?